Saturday, October 13, 2012


Yesterday was beautiful. I accidentally ended up on a 16 mile trail run up in the fall leaves of Millcreek Canyon. I was too cheap to pay the $3 parking fee, so I parked at the base of the canyon and ran a mile on the road to the first trailhead. I headed up Rattlesnake Gulch to the Pipeline Trail, past Birch Hollow to Elbow Fork. And then turned around and ran back to my Jeep. I had no idea is was going to be that far, a situation I notoriously find myself in over and over again.

And then I decided to be domestic and can multi-colored jars of tomatoes (photos to come soon...)

And then for dinner Rich and I made these delicious homemade raviolis-- everything from scratch, starting by making the dough, rolling it through the pasta rollers seventeen-million times, then using the ravioli press and filling them with a yummy ricotta/mozz blend (rich put sausage in his too). Since sauce usually requires a lengthy process to bring out the best flavors, I did a simple sauce from cherry tomatoes we picked in the backyard with headlamps. I think Syd wanted me to put recipes on here, so I'll add those when I get a little more time (along with a couple more pictures).

Cherry Tomato Sauce
1/4 cup olive oil (actually a little less than that)
chopped garlic (3-4 cloves because I LOVE garlic
onion (I just had a little chunk left I chopped up)
bowl of cherry tomatoes, cut in half
s & p
thinly sliced fresh basil leaves for garnish

In a sauté pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add garlic and onion and cook until tender (about 2 minutes). Add the tomatoes and sauté, stirring occasionally, until they start to blister and brown (3-5 minutes). Season with salt and pepper, reduce heat to low and keep the sauce warm until ready to serve.



To be finished soon... gotta run

No comments: